Toledo and El Escorial Day Tour
Maybe the best day trip from Madrid! Enjoy the very best of El Escorial AND Toledo in one day. Both Cities are declared World Heritage Cities from the UNESCO for a reason. Get picked up at your hotel in Madrid and start this journey which covers all the important sights and monuments in both cities!
Get picked up right at your hotel in Madrid from where you will be brought to the bus departure point and start your journey to El Escorial. The bus drives you right into the city center where the guided tour starts.
El Escorial was declared of “Mankind heritage” and this tour includes all the highlights such as the library, the Monastery and the Basilica and many more!
The Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escoriales is the monument that best summarizes the ideological and cultural aspirations of the Spanish “Golden Age”. It was built in the 16th century under the command of the powerful King Philip II, and conceived as a residence, monastery and pantheon of the Royal House, becoming a symbol of the grandeur of the Spanish empire.
During the tour we will visit the interior of the Monastery, the Royal Palace, the Pantheon of the Kings and the Infantes, Chapter Halls, the Cloister of the Four Evangelists and the Basilica.
The Valley of the Fallen is an impressive monument erected in memory of the fallen during the Spanish Civil War. Located in the beautiful valley of Cuelgamuros, in the Sierra de Guadarrama, this colossal work consists of the Basilica and crypt excavated in laroca of a mountain and crowned by the imposing cross of other 150 meters of height. It includes the entrance to the Valley, and visit to the interior of the Basilica.
Afterwards you start your journey to Toledo.
The city is like an immense museum of great beauty and holds some of the most genuine historical Spanish monuments. Its old Gothic and renaissance buildings, its narrow streets and alleys, testify old days of magnificence.
The old city has been considered as a National Monument, and declared World Heritage City by UNESCO.
Toledo is also named the city of three cultures, as for a long period of time, the Christian, Islamic and Jewish lived peacefully within its walls.
The panoramic walking tour takes you around the old quarter where you will visit the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, primate Cathedral, old Palace of Justice, City Hall and much more. You will than take a walk through the old jewish quarter with narrow streets and visit the church of St. Tome with El Greco’s famous painting “The Burial of Count Orgaz” from the time he was living in Toledo.
As the walk continues you will see the, most likely, oldest Synagogue of europe, the Synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca. Still today it remains a symbol of the coexistance of the “Three Cultures”. Another highlight is the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes as an example of Gothic style with Spanish and Flemish influences.
This tour also includes the Museum Victorio Macho where you will experience outstanding views and witness a short audiovisual movie about the city as well as the works of the famous sculptor. There will be also a visit of a typical factory of Damasquino, which is a well known handicraft art.
After you have seen the pure beauty of Toledo, our bus will take you back to the departure point in Madrid.
Optional Visit of the Cathedral
It is one of the most impressive monuments of Toledo and unique in Spain, the Great Cathedral of Santa Maria de Toledo, magnum opus of the Gothic style in Spain.
It is an indispensable visit in the heart of Toledo. A spectacular piece of the architecture and the Spanish art.
What is included?
- Explore the amazing sights of El Escorial, like the Monastery, Basilica, the Palace of Philip II and many more. Enjoy all the monuments that make this city unique.
- A fully air conditioned bus
- Panoramic walking tour of Toledo including:
- Plaza del Ayuntamiento
- Primate Cathedral
- Old Palace of Justice
- City Hall
- Church of St. Tome
- Old Synagogue of Ste. Maria la Blanca
- Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes
- Museum Victorio Macho + Visit of a typical factory of Damasquino
- Local English speaking guide
- Optional: Trip to Cathedral
- Optional: Lunch in a typical restaurant in Madrid
- Free Hotel Pick-up: Just choose your hotel name and pick-up point in the booking process! If your hotel is not on the list, please take a look on the map with all pickup places and choose a hotel next to your location: Morning Tours – Hotel Pickup Map
How to book this?
- Right after booking you will receive a voucher via email.
(Click here for a 1 min video of our booking process.)
- Show it at the meeting point near the metro stations Callao and Santo Domingo. (Exact details on your voucher).
- Free cancellation until 48h before the start time. Just send us an email and we will refund you – no questions asked!