Our efforts for a better climate
Local Travel & Solutions has around 1500 – 2000 transfers per year and with our partner ClimateCare we offset the carbon emissions associated with our transfer services.
For each kg of CO² emitted by transporting a passenger, we offset a corresponding amount through ClimateCare’s portfolio of climate and development projects. Reducing carbon emissions and improving the lives of people in the developing world.
Climate change is the most pressing global issue facing us all, with potential for significant community, biodiversity and environmental consequences across the world. To take responsibility for our impact on the climate we offset the carbon emissions from our transfer services through climate and development experts ClimateCare.
ClimateCare is an organisation that reduces global greenhouse gas emissions on behalf of companies and individuals. These reductions are made through a range of projects around the world that not only make real reductions in carbon emissions, but also make a difference to people’s lives.
Projects we support
In the following you can read two examples of projects we support. Therefore you get an overview of how our payment helps other people:
Water filters – LifeStraw in Kenya
This award winning, revolutionary project is delivering safe water to more than 4 million people in Western Kenya – at an unprecedented scale.
The project delivers emission reductions through reducing the need to boil water through the burning of wood from fast depleting forest. It also reduces waterborne disease and is the world’s first project to link carbon credits with safe water provision.
Social & economic benefits:
• Incidence of waterborne diseases is reduced: early studies show a decrease in typhoid and diarrhoea.
• Reduces exposure to smoke from fires used to boil water.
• 8,000 jobs have been created distributors and monitors of the filters, trainers and administrative staff.
• Less wood is used for water boiling and there is lower demand for fast diminishing wood resources, helping reduce deforestation.
Saldanha Hydroelectricity in Brazil
This hydroelectric project in northern Brazil brings a secure and reliable source of power to this remote region for the first time. It cuts carbon by displacing isolated fossil-fuel-powered generation with clean, renewable energy. It has also created local jobs and is a blue print for similar projects across the country.
Social & Economic benefits:
• Increased employment opportunities in the area; directly associated with construction and maintenance.
• Helps promote renewable energy and encourage others to replicate similar projects elsewhere.
• Encourages the development of Brazilian technological capacity as all labour and technical maintenance provided in-country.
• Reduces dependence on imported fossil fuels thus reducing exposure to fossil fuel price volatility.